Sunday, January 02, 2005

New Year's Resolutions and What I Learned in 2004

I have a really hard time with the keeping of New Year's resolutions so I decided that this year I had to aim for something easily achievable, so that I don't start off the year feeling like a massive failure. My first inclination was to go with sit on my ass and gain weight, but Sally told me it has to be something that I don't normally do. Uh, thanks, Salz. So, after much thought, this is what I've settled on:

1) Think before I burp -Those of you that know me know I have what could questionably be called a talent for the rather loud and resonant expulsion of air. It should be noted that at approxamately 4:45pm on January 1st, I accidently broke this resolution.

2) Not to arbitratily hate pretty people - Yes, pretty people make my hackles rise. Yes, it's a dumb girlie self esteem thing. No, this newfound warmth towards the genetically blessed does not extend to their ridiculous sweater wearing dogs. I still want to punt their yipping asses in to Engish Bay.

3) Take French lessons - Sort of a practical thing as I am going to be surrounded by Frenchies for at least 6 months. And I'm going to make an effort to learn more that the swears and foreplay words.

4) Be a little nicer to me - because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!


What I learned in 2004

1) If you meet a guy and you are pretty damn sure you are not in to him, it's best to walk away quick, otherwise you risk getting tangled in big mess and it gets harder to cut the cord.

2) If you meet a guy and you are pretty damn sure that you like him, it's best to suck it up and take the risk of telling him, otherwise you risk getting tangled in a big mess and your heart will likely get a little trampled anyways.

3) I'd rather have my heart broken by a lover than a friend.

4) British accents really do make an average man more attractive.

5) Stress really does make you go grey. Or in my case, bright white.

6) If you get so sad/stressed that eating makes you barf, and you lose weight fast, don't buy a bunch of smaller pants, unless you can stay sad/stressed for a long time, because when you get happy and start eating you'll have a bunch of too small pants, and that will make you sad again.

7) 6 Feet Under rules!

8) I have given Tom Hanks enough chances, and I'm ok with really, really hating his movies and the blandness and banality of Hollywood which he represents.

9) Everyone should have a little bit of Marty in their lives.

10) It is less expensive to maintain a pet's dental health that to deal with a neglected set of chompers.

11) Not that this is a new discovery, but I have really amazing parents.

11) When dealing with bands, one should always carry a Sharpie. (Even without bands they generally come in handy).

12) Wreck Beach is as cool as everyone says.

13) I really, really love Vancouver and some of the people I've met here, but it's sort of stagnatedand I'm ready for a change.

I can't say 2004 weighed in as either a particularly good or bad year. The highs were very high, and the lows were downright scary. I think coming out of it I'm a little more confident, a lot more resiliant, and ready to take on whatever challenges 2005 has in store.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails